In 2010, there was over 2 billion internet users worldwide. Within 2021, there were over 4. 6 billion dollars.
In order to attract and indulge this growing foundation of online users, websites are being created at a rapid pace. In 2010, there were a little over 210 million websites. Today, there are more than 1 . 8 billion.
To stand out in this crowded online space, you must understand the latest technologies and trends in website design, as well as consumer behaviors and expectations. To help, we’ve covered one of the most essential web design statistics of 2021. Let’s get started.
Web Design Statistics
Mobile Web Design Statistics
one In the first one fourth of 2021, mobile devices generated 54. 7 percent of global website traffic. (Statista, 2021)
Mobile traffic has been hovering round the 50 percent mark since the beginning of 2017. That means it’s more important than ever to enhance your website for mobile devices as well as desktops. It’s also important to consider whether offering the mobile app gives a better experience to your users.
second . 32% of smaller businesses already have a cellular app and 42% plan to build 1 in the future. 26% associated with small businesses, on the other hand, are unlikely to ever release one. (Top Design Firms, 2021)
Some small businesses have already created a mobile app, while others intend to in order to improve their customer service or streamline the purchasing process for his or her customers. But over a quarter of a few small businesses aren’t about to — now or even ever. Some do not have the budget or marketing capabilities to create plus promote their application. Others don’t think it makes sense for their business or audience.
Whether your small business ought to invest in building a cellular app or not depends on a wide range of factors, including your industry, target audience, plus budget.
3. 50% of mobile phone users are more likely to make use of a company or brand’s mobile site whenever browsing or shopping on a smartphone because they don’t want to download an app. (Google/Ipsos, 2019)
Whenever deciding whether to invest in building a mobile app, consider that 1 / 2 of smartphone users prefer to browse or store on a mobile site because they don’t want to take the extra methods required to download an app.
4. In a study entrusted by Google plus conducted by 55 and Deloitte, reducing mobile site fill times by just 1 tenth of a 2nd resulted in major raises in conversion rates — specifically, 8. 4% for retail websites and 10. 1% for travel websites. (Deloitte, 2019)
55 and Deloitte analyzed mobile site data from 37 retail, travel, high-class and lead generation brands across Europe as well as the US over a four-week period. Results demonstrated that a 0. 1 second improvement within load time may influence every step of the consumer journey and ultimately increase conversion rates. On average, conversions increased simply by 8. 4% meant for retail sites and by 10. 1% pertaining to travel sites.
This proves that website speed matters and should be considered a essential performance metric.
Responsive Web Design Statistics
5. 73. 1% of web designers believe that a non-responsive design is a best reason why visitors leave a website. (GoodFirms, 2021)
Considering that billions of people are accessing the internet using their mobile devices, it’s essential that your web site is optimized pertaining to smaller screen dimensions as well as desktops. Actually not having a receptive design is graded as a top cause visitors might leave a website, according to the survey of 200+ web designers and freelancers. Other reasons are slow load times, bad navigation, and poor content structure.
six. 53. 8% of web designers cite “not being responsive on all devices” being a top reason for a web site to be redesigned. (GoodFirms, 2021)
In case your website isn’t reactive, then it’s period for a redesign, according to that same group of 200+ web designers and freelancers. The other top reasons — reduced conversion rate, high bounce rate, and “needs better UX” — could be tackled by a responsive design as well.
Web site design Industry Statistics
7. In 2020, the total number of web developers and designers in the usa was around 178, 900. By 2030, this number is projected to reach over 205, 000. (Statista, 2021)
In this particular study, web developers plus designers were understood to be those “responsible for the design and development of websites or interfaces including the overall layout, graphics, font type, etc . ” The market will be expected to grow simply by over 20, 500 jobs in the next decade.
8. Employment of web developers and digital designers will be projected to grow 6 percent from 2019 to 2029, considerably faster than the average for any occupations. (U. S i9000. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2021)
According to the U. T. Bureau of Labour Statistics, the employment of web developers and designers will develop at a much faster price than the average for everyone occupations. It believes that demand will be driven by the continued popularity of mobile devices and ecommerce.
9. The median annual wage designed for web developers and electronic designers was $77, 200 in May 2020. (U. S. Agency of Labor Statistics, 2021)
The median annual income for web developers and designers was over $77, 000 in 2020. The Oughout. S. Bureau associated with Labor Statistics describes median wage as “the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that quantity and half earned less. ” When it comes to web developers and creative designers, the lowest 10 percent gained less than $40, 750, and the highest 10 % earned more than $146, 430.
ten. The web design providers market is estimated to be worth $40. 8 billion in the US in 2021. (IBISWorld, 2020)
The web design services market is estimated to become worth over $40 billion in the US. Since 2016, it has grown an average of 4. 4% per year.
Modern Web Design Statistics
11. 50% of consumers believe that website design is crucial to a business’s overall brand. (Top Design Firms, 2021)
In a survey associated with 500 consumers, half said that website design is essential to a business’s general brand. That suggests businesses should prioritize website design (or a redesign) to meet consumers’ expectations and strengthen their brand identification.
12. When asked what visible elements they worth on a company site, 40% of consumers stated images, 39% stated color, and 21% said video. (Top Design Firms, 2021)
Images, color, and videos would be the top visual elements that consumers worth on a company web site. Considering that nearly 40% said images plus color and 21% said video, your company should prioritize incorporating images and selecting a website color scheme first. Then, focus on incorporating video along with other visual elements talked about — namely, typography, infographics, and computer animation.
13. 84. 6% of web designers think crowded web design is the most common mistake made by small businesses. (GoodFirms, 2021)
An overwhelming amount of web designers (84. 6%) believe crowded web site design is the most common mistake that small businesses create when creating a website. Which means you want to incorporate pictures, color, video, along with other visual elements that will consumers value — but not overdo this. Taking a minimalist approach can help.
14. 42% of people may leave a website because of poor functionality. (Top Design Companies, 2021)
Web site design isn’t just about producing pretty websites — it’s about making websites that are user friendly and navigate. If yours isn’t, after that it’s likely that lots of visitors will get out of your site. In a survey by Top Style Firms, 42% of respondents said they’d leave a website that had poor efficiency.
15. 37. 5% of web designers believe that outdated design is a top reason why visitors leave a web site. (GoodFirms, 2021)
In addition to a non-responsive style and functionality issues, web designers cite obsolete design as a top reason for visitors abandoning a website. You might be wondering when the design becomes “outdated. ” According to Business 2 Community, the regular lifespan for a website is 1 . five to 2 . 5 years. Past that range, a website will need to incorporate new design trends and technologies to feel “fresh” and competitive.
16. 39% of consumers appreciate color a lot more than any other component of the website’s design. (Top Design Firms, 2021)
39% of website visitors care about colour more than any other element of a website’s style. That means companies should prioritize picking a web site color scheme. Ideally, your color schemes will certainly reinforce your brand, make your site readable and navigate, as well as look good.
17. Only 8% of consumers notice whitespace when viewing a website the first time. (Top Design Companies, 2021)
Whenever viewing a website for first time, only a small fraction of visitors discover whitespace. That doesn’t mean it’s not important, however. This vital design element can help draw visitors’ focus on certain elements, like CTAs, and ensure it is easier for them to understand and digest your articles.
18. 26% of consumers prefer principal color schemes, 21% choose complementary, and 20% prefer analogous. (Top Design Firms, 2021)
Consumers are divided about which type associated with color scheme they will prefer: some really want primary, others really want complementary, while others really want analogous. To understand the, you need to be somewhat acquainted with color theory. A primary color scheme comprises of one or more primary colours (red, yellow, plus blue). A contrasting color scheme utilizes two colors straight across from each other on the color steering wheel (like orange and blue) and related tints of those colours. An analogous colour scheme is created simply by pairing one primary color with the two colors directly close to it on the colour wheel (like eco-friendly, purple, and blue.
When choosing a color scheme, companies should consider their products, solutions, and audience.
19. 22% of consumers visiting a website the first time look for eye-catching colours. But 21% of consumers will leave a site with “outlandish” colours. (Top Design Companies, 2021)
Considering that 22% of consumers visiting a website for the first time search for eye-catching colors, but 21% will leave one with “outlandish” colors, it’s essential to strike the right stability. To help choose eye-catching — but not garish — colors for your website color system, opt for a neutral background color. Then select primary and secondary colors. Don’t be scared to look at businesses within your industry for inspiration.
20. When looking at a website for the first time, 38% of consumers look at a page’s design or navigational links. (Top Design Firms, 2021)
38% of people visiting a website for the first time look at the design or navigational hyperlinks on a page. If the layout is certainly confusing or the navigation menu is hard to find, then visitors might leave your website.
21. As of June 2021, Search engines. com is the most popular website worldwide, along with 86. 9 billion total monthly appointments. (Statista, 2021)
For the last decade, Google. com has been the most famous website worldwide. Within June 2021, this racked up eighty six. 9 billion complete monthly visits. Which means you can learn a few issues from their website’s style if you need inspiration. Youtube . com, Facebook, and Wikipedia are the next most widely used websites across the world.
Ecommerce Web Design Stats
22. Within 2021, 53. nine percent of all store ecommerce is expected to be generated via mobile devices. (Statista, 2021)
Mobile is not just responsible for the majority of worldwide traffic this year — it’s also creating the majority of retail e-commerce sales. That provides even more incentive regarding ecommerce sites to ensure they are fully reactive and mobile-friendly.
23. 23% of small retail companies don’t have a website. (Digital. com, 2021)
With ecommerce expanding year-over-year, it might shock you that 23% of small retail businesses don’t have a website. Some believe they don’t need 1 — but they are likely missing out on key opportunities to generate revenue. Based on Statista, revenue through ecommerce in the United States amounted to 431. 6 billion U. T dollars in 2020. It’s estimated to improve to 563. four billion dollars simply by 2025.
24. 24% of small retail businesses without a website responded that their reason for lacking one was that they don’t know how to create/run a website. (Digital. possuindo, 2021)
While some businesses doubt the need of having an online presence, others simply have no the resources to produce one. 24% associated with small business owners without a web site said the reason was that they don’t understand how to create and run one. The increase of user-friendly plus affordable content administration systems and web site builders could help get over this objection and get more small businesses on-line.
25. As of June 2021, Amazon was your most popular ecommerce web site in the United States, with approximately 2 . 45 billion total monthly trips. (Statista, 2021)
Since Amazon has already established unprecedented success in driving traffic to their particular site, Amazon. possuindo can provide inspiration for the website’s design. It’s become the go-to platform for many online shoppers due to its broad range of goods, third-party promoting, and other design plus functionality choices.
26. 85% associated with shoppers say item information and pictures are very important to them when determining which brand or retailer to buy from. (Google/Ipsos, 2019)
Online shoppers utilize a variety of factors to decide which brands and retailers to buy from. The majority cite item information and pictures being an important factor, so make sure that your ecommerce site’s item pages are optimized for copy plus imagery.
27. 60% of consumers rate usability as an essential design characteristic for an online shop. (Statista, 2020)
In a study of almost one, 000 US consumers, 60 percent mentioned that website user friendliness is important for them in an online shop. You can improve the usability of your website by using visual structure, colors, and consistency to make it as easy to use as possible. If you’re not sure where to start, HubSpot’s Web site Grader and other usability testing tools can help identify improvement opportunities.
Getting yourself ready for the Future of Web Design
The web design market is growing and so are user’s expectations of exactly what websites and online stores look like and are capable of. Will you be prepared to meet them?
Editor’s note: This post was originally published in December 2019 and it has been updated designed for comprehensiveness.